1) "I've never treated a patient like this."
2) "I've been doing this a long time and I've never seen one that big."
3) "Wow, back so soon?"
4) "This doesn't usually happen, I swear."
Sweet Cora has been the subject of these words since in the womb. It stared when they diagnosed me with a rare placenta condition which had all the doctors in a tizzy at our hospital. My actual OB had never seen it in her long OB career (statement #1) so I was shipped off to the specialists for the rest of the time. With much prayer, things turned out fine and we were smitten with our new girl.
Finally, I was thinking that Cora's front teeth seemed, well, a bit spread out so I mentioned it to the pediatric Dentist. Enter statement #2. He was referring to her frenula which is the band of tissue from the lip to the gum. Hers is apparently very large, separating her teeth. They will most likely do surgery when she's six or seven and then look at some braces. Horray!
In the scheme of things, these are all minor and I'm SO, SO grateful to have a healthy kid in spite of these little bumps in the road. Her challenges are minor compared to the things other parents and children have to face.
At our next visit though I'd like to hear,
"Where have you been, haven't seen you in a while?"
"There's no copay today, Ms Darden, this is a well check up."
"Wow, Cora, you've gotten so big since we last saw you."
No comments:
Post a Comment