There are things you associate with different places you've travelled or childhood memories. When we travel to my Dad's hometown it's Senapes Pitz and good Polock food soaked in sticks of butter. Last week we savored both at a family reunion.
Eva experienced her first trail ride and I remembered how much I miss riding.
There was even a celebrity sighting.
In Rhode Island, when we visit the Pageau's it's seafood, camping, fishing and Dunkin Donuts. I've posted before that Dunkin' Donuts coffee is nothing like it is down here in the south. It's like ordering Sweet Tea or BBQ north of the Mason Dixon line. Since I can only enjoy it once a year I decided to savor a Dunkin' each day. The first day at my Grandmothers was spent in her backyard like we used to, playing, running and sitting in the shade watching birds.
Now gone but in my mind there is still a swing on a clothesline, canoes in the corner of the yard and my Grandfather cleaning whatever fish he just caught.
My coffee sits in the background while the girls enjoy my cousins high heels, it's one of their favorite parts of visiting because if ya'll know me, I don't own anything with a heel like these.
Tuesday and Wednesday were spent camping. Thankful for my Uncle Rob and Aunt Sue who packed up all the gear and set it up so we had little to do!
Eva enjoyed her first tubing experience, Madeline was not quite brave enough yet and Cora just hated the boat all together so she opted for the beach.
She was just going to wade into her ankles in this picture.
Cora also had a hard time accepting that while in the woods nature could provide it's own potty facilities. "What am I supposed to wipe with, A ROCK?!" Needless to say, she trekked to the porta potty a few times.
This cutie was our tent mate.
On the way home from camping I refueled with iced coffee and two of the three recovered from the late night.
Then we stopped by the Coast Guard station for Daddy and the Beach for Chow-dah and clam cakes.
We met with our dear friend from back home, Josie, for a visit to the Dinosaur Park in Connecticut.
Picture boards with coffee
Note the two Dino babies hiding under this dinosaur
They also had a splash pad there
And the last full day spent with more Dunkn' and another Rhode Island treat, Del's Lemonade while Eva crabbed and we celebrated My sweet Grandmother's birthday.
Just like the Dunkin' coffee, there is so much more about these trips that refuels me. It's the aromas of smells so familiar from so many years ago, it's the stimulant that comes from being around family that you love and loves you unconditionally back. It's the excitement of seeing the girls experience things that I loved growing up, it's the blend of old memories and new. We can't wait to drink it all up again next summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment