The pearly whites have dominated in our house lately. Eva is losing them and Cora is growing them
The losing part is much easier than the growing part
And much more lucrative financially.
The Tooth Fairy has a difficult job. She must keep cash on hand, be ready at a moments notice and she must be alert and rested enough to outlast excited six year olds who don't want to fall asleep. Our tooth fairy has a cranky 18 month old who keeps her from achieving the rested and alert part.
So when Eva lost her last front tooth and awoke to find it still under her pillow, I felt a twinge of panic. "Don't worry, sweetie. I bet she just didn't get the message that you had lost it since it was right at bed time. Betcha she'll come tonight!"
So Eva excitedly went to bed the next night and woke me in the morning with a disappointed face and plastic baggie with tooth in hand. "She didn't come again." That's right. Twice. Two nights in a row the tooth fairy fell asleep before the toothless child. I mentioned Cora is teething right?
I told Eva we should have some breakfast and then maybe see if we could email the tooth fairy. As she walked downstairs I ran to the office, penned a very quick note that read, "Eva. This tooth is just TOO BEAUTIFUL to take. I'm leaving it instead for you to show everybody how shiny and WONDERFUL it is. Love, The Tooth Fairy."
I shoved it under the pillow and called her upstairs. "Look, There is something under your pillow! We must have missed it! I bet that note was there the first night!"
"YEAH," said Eva. "Wow. I get to keep one!"
Hopefully Cora's teething will pass quickly and we will sleep soundly again soon. Maybe by the time Madeline is losing teeth we are rested, alert and stocked with cash. Ready at a moments notice. Wonder if the Tooth Fairy can put in a good word with the Sandman for us.






No comments:
Post a Comment